As a Chinese traditional artist known worldwide, Master Xia Jing Shan has studied under numerous masters throughout his lifetime for the painting skills of flower, figures, ladies and natural landscapes. Xia’s work is fused with his own personal realization and experiences. Using the characteristics of Chinese brush painting, along with his knowledge and skill, Xia successfully combined realism with impressionism.
- 1923Xia Jing Shan, courtesy name Guang-Hua, also known as Nan-Chu, was born in Weifang City, Shandong Province.
- 1954Xia was introduced to Buddhism by Nan-Ting, the master in Buddhism.
- 1958Xia became the protégé of Nan Huai-jin, establishing his ethics in terms of life as well as profession.
- 1971Moving to California in the US, Xia went to study in Fine Arts School. Meanwhile, he traveled to visit museums around the world.
- 1979Xia helped numerous temples in China to renovate, including the Buddha Hall at Famen Temple, Guoqing Temple at Tiantai Mountain, many temple at Wutai Mountain.
- 1988After 10 months of retreat, Master Xia realized the delicate realm of Buddharupas and made the decision that he would dedicate his work to Buddharupas only.
- 1994Master Xia established Jing Shan of Art in Beijing where he gave pro bono classes on calligraphy and painting for students in poverty and provided them with allowance and accommodation.
- 2006Xia helped repair the Long-Xing Temple, which was originally established in Qingzhou, Shandong back in Northern Wei dynasty.
- 2008The artworks from Xia were carried by Shenzhou VII spaceship, experiencing an art flight.
- 2009Xia’s paintings "Buddha Collection" were introduced to the world.
- 2010Xia's artwork "Portrait of Guanyin Bodhisattva" was displayed in Beijing Palace Museum.
- 2011With the great reputation, Xia held a “Xia Jing Shan Art Exhibition” in his hometown Shandong.
- 2012Breaking through the time and space, Xia held the exhibition “Los Angeles Fine Art Show: Historic & Traditional,” leading us to the art of Ming Qing dynasty.
- 2013Fans from Singapore gathered to read Xia’s painting portfolio in person.
- 2014"Xia Jing Shan Arts and Culture Foundation" was founded in Taiwan on January, 2014. The artworks of Xia Jing Shan convey the mercy and wisdom of Chinese classical art and rich cultural deposit. The Foundation aims to preserve and pass on the work pieces of Master Xia and to promote the beauty of philanthropy left in Chinese arts and culture.
The Foundation, cooperating with National Taiwan University of Arts, held Xia Jing Shan Painting Research & Art Workshop at the end of the year to illustrate the connotation of Xia Jing Shan's works with academic perspective.
- 2015The first issue of annual magazine “Jing Shan Aesthetics” was published.
Cooperated with Chang Jung Christian University and Chinese Culture University to held Xia’s seminar.
- 2016The first issue of “Journal of Xia Jing Shan’s Art” was published. “Xia Jing Shan Story House: International classic art exhibition” was held in Wu’s Garden in Tainan. Xia’s aesthetical theory was introduced to the world with the cooperation with King’s college London, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, and Oxford Brookes University.
- 2017The first “Jing Shan Classic, Cultural & Creative Arts Awards” has been planning by the Foundation for years, which is expected to become a seed project to cultivate more youths with innovative thinking and create a platform for cultural exchange through getting better understanding on the essence of classic calligraphy and painting while making art related creations. The application process will be available from June until September and the award ceremony will be held on December 9th at the National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts (Venue: Auditorium)
- 2018The exhibition, “Xia Jing Shan Art Exhibition”, was presented from July 22 to August 11, 2018 at the National Museum of China in Beijing, with Meditating Avalokiteśvara, Bodhidharma and other eight Xia’s paintings, became a part of the museum’s permanent collection after the exhibition.
To promote Xia Jing Shan’s studies and research, the Foundation established “Xia Jing Shan Academy” in collaboration with the Nanjing University.
- 2019Xia Jing Shan Arts and Culture Foundation has signed the agreement for cooperation with Centre of Buddhist Studies at SOAS University of London, Center for China-US Cooperation, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver, Prague College and Lisbon University to promote Xia’s Aesthetics.
Master Xia is appointed as the Honorable Chairman of “World Buddhist Art Forum”.
September 23, Master Xia passed away peacefully in Los Angeles, the US.