As a Chinese traditional artist known worldwide, Mr. Xia Jing Shan has studied under numerous masters throughout his lifetime for the painting skills of ornamental plants, characters, ladies and natural landscapes. Xia’s work is fused with his own personal realization and experiences. Using the characteristics of Chinese brush painting, along with his knowledge and skill, Xia successfully combined realism with impressionism.
- 1923Xia Jing Shan, courtesy name Guang-Hua, also known as Nan-Chu, was born in Weifang City, Shandong Province.
- 1954Xia was introduced to Buddhism by Nan-Ting, the master in Buddhism.
- 1958Xia became the protégé of Nan Huai-Chin, establishing his ethics in terms of life as well as profession.
- 1971Moving to California in America, Xia went to study in Fine Arts School. Meanwhile, he traveled to visit museums around the world.
- 2006Xia helped repair the Long-Xing Temple, which was originally established in Qingzhou, Shandong back in Northern Wei dynasty.
- 2008The artworks from Xia were carried by Shenzhou VII spaceship, experiencing an art flight.
- 2009Xia’s paintings "Buddha Collection" were introduced to the world.
- 2010Xia's artwork "Portrait of Guanyin Bodhisattva" was displayed in Beijing Palace Museum.
- 2011With the great reputation, Xia held a “Xia Jing Shan Art Exhibition” in his hometown Shandong.
- 2012Breaking through the time and space, Xia held the exhibition “Los Angeles Fine Art Show: Historic & Traditional,” leading us to the art of Ming Qing dynasty.
- 2013Fans from Singapore gathered to read Xia’s painting portfolio in person.
- 2014"Xia Jing Shan Arts and Culture Foundation" was founded in Taiwan on January, 2014. The artworks of Xia Jing Shan convey the mercy and wisdom of Chinese classical art and rich cultural deposit. The Foundation aims to preserve and pass on the work pieces of Master Xia and to promote the beauty of philanthropy left in Chinese arts and culture. The Foundation, cooperating with National Taiwan University of Arts, held Xia Jing Shan Painting Research & Art Workshop at the end of the year to illustrate the connotation of Xia Jing Shan's works with academic perspective.
- 2015The first issue of annual magazine “Jing Shan Aesthetics” was published. “The International Conference on Art Spiritually of Mr. Xia Jing Shan’s paintings” was held in Chang Jung Christian University in Tainan. “The International Conference of Xia Jing Shan arts and Culture Cross-National Research --- Forum & Exhibition” was held with Chinese Culture University.
- 2016The first issue of “Journal of Xia Jing Shan’s Art” was published. “Xia Jing Shan Story House: International classic art exhibition” was held in Wu’s Garden in Tainan. Xia’s aesthetical theory was introduced to the world with the cooperation with King’s college London, Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance, and Oxford Brookes University.
- 2017In April, the foundation will be cooperating to hold an unprecedented feast for art with renowned Taiwanese temples such as Tian-Ming Temple in order to praise Ode on Spring: Xia’s Painting and Calligraphy Art Installation through an innovative style of combining classic music and painting and calligraphy.
In June, the foundation will be advancing towards a higher level of exquisite aesthetics and taking a further cooperation with Luxury Watcher Co.,Ltd. New Taipei City Main Library, National Tainan University of the Art, Chinese Culture University, Department of Calligraphy and Painting Arts, National Taiwan University of Arts and other outstanding partners to co-organize the event of 2017 Xia Jing-Shan International Conference and Painting and Calligraphy Art Exhibition."
In September, the Xia Jing Shan Painting and Calligraphy Art Exhibition will be displayed in Southern Taiwan University of Science and Technology and aims to broaden the vision of Oriental Aesthetics to the depth to students and create an elegant place where is built on the concept art landscape in Southern Taiwan.
Furthermore, the first “Jing Shan Classic, Cultural & Creative Arts Awards” has been planning by the foundation for years, which is expected to become a seed project to cultivate more youths with innovative thinking and create a platform for cultural exchange through getting better understanding on the essence of classic calligraphy and painting while making art related creations. The application process will be available from June until September and the award ceremony will be held on December 9th at the National Taiwan Museum of Fine Arts (Venue: Auditorium)
Until the end of December, the foundation will be holding the press with Bureau of Social Affairs, the Taichung City Government to announce the first ‘Xia Jing Shan Social Innovation Scholarship’ scheme. This scheme aims to cultivate individuals who are eligible, including being experienced in NGO affairs and having great passion on contributing to NGO field are highly recommended to apply. By launching this scheme, we hope not only to continue the mission of Xia Jing Shan Art and Cultural Foundation, but also look forward to creating more opportunities to collaborate with our next generation and to make our society better.
- 2018Xia Jing Shan Arts and Culture Foundation held the cross-cultural and cross-field exhibition, “Ode to Spring: Cherry Blossoms-Xia Jing Shan Art of Painting and Calligraphy Installation.”
“Brush and Ink: 2018 Xia Jing Shan Academic Conference” was presented at The Mayor’s Residence Art Salon.
First “Xia Jing Shan Social Innovation Empowerment Scholarship Program” to cultivate philanthropic professionals.
Cooperate with Nanjing University for “2018 Jing Shan Classic, Cultural and Creative Arts Awards”.
- 2019Jan 15, Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation has signed a letter of intent for cooperation with the School of Business, Prague College. The foundation will collaborate with Prague College in the future in programs that include academic research, call for entries and visit exchanges and other endeavors.
Feb 28, Dr. Zhao Suisheng, Professor of Josef Korbel School of International Studies and the Chief Editor of Journal of Contemporary China visited Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation to initiate important collaborations. He was on the behalf of the center for China-US Cooperation, Josef Korbel School of International Studies, University of Denver to sign Memorandum of Understanding with the foundation to confirm the international collaboration between “Journal of Xia Jing Shan’s Art” and “Journal of Contemporary China”.
March 17, The Foundation held the “Spring: Xia Jing Shan Calligraphy and Painting Art Connoisseurship Salon” at the Tianming Temple, New Taipei City. There are many Xia’s authentic paintings are showcased for art lovers. Notably, the masterpiece “Dragon King Worships Avalokiteśvara”of Xia Jingshan which measures up to 5 meters long and is presented firstly to the public in Taiwan.
April 13, Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation signed a cooperation agreement with the Niushoushan Buddhist Cultural Development Foundation to form an alliance with each other to promote exquisite Buddhist Art.
April 16, Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation signed an academic exchange agreement with the Centre for Buddhist Studies at the School of Oriental and African Studies of the University of London to establish a cooperative relationship. Academic funds has been made to jointly promote ‘Xia’s Studies’ in the next three years .
May 15, Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation co-hosted the seminar “First Buddhist Art Maestro Across centuries: Xia Jing Shan”, with the Centre of Buddhist Studies, School of Oriental and African Studies, University of London. The seminar took place at SOAS. Renowned scholars and experts from London are invited to attend and topic mainly focused on “Xia Jing Shan Buddhist Paintings in contemporary world”. In the future, more and more cultural exchange activities will continue to be held, and SOAS, University of London will be expected to be a research base for Xia’s Studies in Europe.
May 16, Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation signed a letter of intent for cooperation with School of Arts and Humanities of the University of Lisbon. In order to sow the seeds of Art education and cultivate more and more cultural and creative talents in a near future, the foundation will set up art-related courses in a collaboration with School of Arts and Humanities, University of Lisbon.
June 1, Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation co-hosted “The 1ST Jingshan Forum Cultural Studies on Buddhist Iconography” with School of Arts and Xia Jing Shan Academy of Nanjing University. It was held at School of Arts, Nanjing University and 20 articles regarding Buddhist culture and Buddhism were presented in the seminar.
June 2, Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation and Niushoushan Cultural Tourism Group Co., Ltd. co-hosted the "Xia Jing Shan Art Connoisseurship Salon & “Xia Jing Shan Calligraphy and Painting Art Exhibition” Agreement Signing Ceremony", which took place in the Foshan Palace in Niu Shou Mountain, Nanjing. Hundreds of business, academic and religious elites attended the event. The authentic painting “Manjushri” by master Xia Jing Shan was firstly presented to the public. Meanwhile, “Xia Jing Shan's Online Exhibition” was jointly launched by Xia Jing Shan Arts & Culture Foundation and a number of distinguished academic institutions. Xia Jing Shan's Online Exhibition is accessible to the public and invite everyone to appreciate Chinese Buddhist Art.